Pulled Pork with Strawberry BBQ Sauce
Makes: 8 sandwiches
- 1 ... 2-1/2- to 3-lb. boneless pork sirloin, shoulder, or butt roast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 4 cups strawberries, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 8 rolls or buns, split
- Fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- Green tomato wedges (optional)
1. Trim fat from pork. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In large Dutch oven over medium heat brown pork in hot oil on all sides. Add half the strawberries, the ketchup, vinegar, garlic, rosemary, and several dashes hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 2 hours or until pork is tender. Remove pork from Dutch oven; loosely cover with foil. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. For strawberry BBQ sauce, skim fat from cooking liquid. Return liquid to Dutch oven; bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes or until reduced to about 2 cups.
3. Using two forks, shred pork; discard fat. Stir 1 cup strawberry BBQ sauce into pork. Stir remaining strawberries into BBQ sauce.
4. Serve pork on buns. Top with additional sauce and parsley. Pass remaining sauce. Serve with tomato wedges.
Makes 8 sandwiches.