Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Michelini" Roast Turkey with Rosemary, Garlic & Lemon


"T&T'd", Thanksgiving 2009

This recipe came from a client of mine. He has messed around with it until it is the way "The Gene Pool" likes it! I think he has done a great job! Try it with a capon OR a couple of chickens IF ya wanna test the water before ya use a large turkey!

Roast Turkey with Rosemary, Garlic & Lemon
16 pound fresh turkey
oil
4(5-inch) sprigs fresh rosemary
1 lemon, diced
8 cloves garlic,I sliced mine
1/2 cup virgin olive oil
Prepare oil infusion EARLY in the day. Combine all ingredients for "infusion" in a small saucepan and heat over low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 2-4 hours. Strain oil & use as directed below. (I never drained mine!)
When ready ........Preheat oven to 450'f
Rince turkey with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
remove the giblets & neck.
Sprinkle inside generously with salt, (I used sea salt)

Fill cavity with the items below........

Cavity Filling:
2 lemons, (cut each into 1/8's)[I used 1 lemon]
2 bulbs garlic, (top 1/4 inch cut off to expose the clove, remove the excess papery skin[I used 1 bulb for a 10 pound turkey and peeled each clove separate]
6 (5-inch) sprigs of fresh rosemary
15 Black peppercorns(I was told NOT 14 & NOT 16, BUT 15!)lololol
2 large bay leaves

Place on a rack in a large roasting pan and brush generosly with prepared oil.
Place in preheated oven and reduce heat to 350'f & roast uncovered....for 30 minutes.
Brush again with oil & tent with foil,(my bird fit in a pan I had a lid for, so I used that)
Continue to roast at 350'f for 3 & 1/2 hours, brushing with oil every 30 minutes.
remove foil/lid and roast for another 30 minutes to brown skin well.
Let stand 30 minutes out of oven , tented/covered with foil, before carving.
(Our 5.336 kg bird was done to perfection in 1 hour & 30-some minutes!!!!!!!)

Michelinis' Stuffin'(The following amounts are for maybe 15 people! BUT I made a large casserole for just Paul & I....I love "sandwiches" made with stuffing!)

You need: 2 large  round loaves Portuguese cornbread,(I couldn't get any SO I bought a loaf of Jamaican ''Ralph" Hardo bread, about 1/2 loaf sliced then cubed & tossed in a VERY large pot(you would likely use 2 loaves)
1 pound Bacon, (I used 5 slices), Thick sliced type, then cut up "thin" using scissors...fry this until almost crisp then dump over the bread, including the bacon fat..mix it up

Then add about 1/4 cup olive oil into fry pan
I used 3-4 stocks of celery, sliced(you use the whole bunch)
1 red pepper, diced(I used the whole pepper)
Couple medium onions, diced
I used 1/2 bag shredded/grated carrots(you would use 2 of the small bags)
I used 3 cloves of garlic, sliced thin,... BUT you could used use whatever ya wanted [can't taste it , at least I couldn't]....
Toss all this into the fry pan with oil & fry until "crisp-tender"...then pour over the "cubed" bread...mix lightly!
Add Poultry Seasoning ,...Amount>>>>"to your liking"....

Then I used a little over 1/2 carton chicken stock & poured it over the "dry" dressing....mix lightly by hand.
DO NOT make it too wet.....'cause there will still be some juice come outta the veggies & remember the bacon fat and bacon.

I baked it for about 35-45 minutes along-side the turkey, uncovered.
Check it.......don't overcook.
I love it!
Even Paul ate some, not alot tho,'cause he's a wimp when it comes to "good food"....lolol

BTW...the gravy from the turkey dripping was to die for!

Let me know IF ya understand this gibberish, okay?

Bon Appetitte!

No comments:

Post a Comment